Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Don_Tice_ET_ALgorithm



Instructions:

1. Pick a color to draw on upper grid.

2. You cannot intersect another letter when connecting two letters.

3. You may curve line around a letter to avoid it, forming an arc. Only straight lines and arcs allowed.

4. Draw a line to connect the 1st letter of your 1st name to the 1st letter of your middle name.

5. Draw a line to now connect your middle initial to the 1st letter of your last name.

6. Draw a circle around the letter of 1st name.

7. Draw a triangle around the letter of last name.

8. Repeat above steps for lower grid.


Reaction:

The goal of my algorithm was to create a piece of art based on factual information about the class. Using their names to weave lines through the space, I anticipated a nice composition. However, there were variables in my thoughts, including size of the class and variation of letters in their names. It partially fell on my rule set, in that I could have found a more efficient and effective way to gain more beautiful results. I feel that the resulting piece does have some interesting moments of linework gone wild. I tried to vary the placement of the letters as a way to change up the results, which ended up a little more of a mess. I enjoyed completing other algorithms. It gave me a sense of the wide range of thought processes throughout the class as well as provided for a fun class, not knowing what my next task would be. I did my best to execute the commands in a way I felt added to the overall composition, as I know this was the ultimate goal, along with just completing the task.

No comments:

Post a Comment