Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Knipp_Algorithm2








1. Choose two playing cards.

2. Place cards, one at a time on top of wooden block.

3. Take utility knife cut playing cards along predefined areas. There are 8 cuts.

4. Take the two playing cards, choose 2 of the 8 slots on each card to attach both the cards to one another, locking the areas togehter.

5. Cards must begin to form a 3 dimensional object in space, the goal is to create a vertical tower of interlocking playing cards.

6. As time progress people are encourage to attach the unused slots in their two cards to the unused slots of the cards other have previously assembled.


I choose to use playing cards because I liked the idea of turning a two dimensional object into a three dimensional form. I thought that the process turned out the be a success. I wanted to leave the form up to each person that worked on it. The only restraint that I put on the project was that it had to be vertical, which was the criteria of the project. I was skeptical about the structural integrity of the piece because I was using paper. The machine that i created was a simple wood block the size of the playing cards, with slots in it.

1 comment:

  1. The project as a whole is very interesting. From reading the directions I imagined a different outcome, a more rigid and orthogonal one then what actually came out.
    Whats unique about the process is that the model became more hectic as each person added to it, making it harder for each following person to add to it, without destroying it.
    A way that this project informs me about architecture is that it has a strong sense of connections. Each card slots into another one the same way, yet there are many different outcomes, due to the way that the cards are oriented.

    ReplyDelete